Friday, January 14, 2011

Race Weekends

I can’t say I’m ever nervous before a race… anxious maybe… definitely excited. It’s not overwhelming by any means, but the build up to race weekend after weeks and months of preparation can be a little like the night before Christmas morning for a ten year old… decidedly wonderful… and I always have someone to share it with…
Race weekend is an event in our house. We make it an event… and I appreciate my wife so very much for joining in on the fun. We prep together weeks in advance… hotel stay, meals, course map, mile markers, energy gel reminders… gear checklist. No matter the distance from home, we make it a weekend. This weekend is a prime example. I’m running the 13.1 series in L.A…. Venice to be exact, and instead of driving the 50 minutes up to Venice the morning of the race, she insisted on staying the night to make our travels easier… after all, it’s a given that the entire family will be there rooting me on… no matter how brief the “dad” sighting is. So, why not make a little trip out of it? After all, it’s not only me who has sacrificed time and money on doing this or any event… it’s my entire team… my wonderful support crew… otherwise known as… the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment