Sunday, January 9, 2011

Personal Mantra

“I believe God made me for a purpose, but He also made me fast. And when I run I feel his pleasure.” – Eric Liddell (Chariots of Fire)
I love this quote. It doesn’t describe my running ability or speed though. I wish I could say I was fast… but anyone who has run with me can attest, “fast” does not describe me. But I love the quote nonetheless. It’s simple and poignant. It speaks of deep faith and hope… a mantra that can keep my legs turning when it seems most difficult. I don’t personally use this quote though… the whole “fast” thing doesn’t apply, so I would just be lying to myself if I tried… But I do have one. This is one that I use when my body is running on fumes…
 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. -Phillipians 4:13
My mantra holds deep significance for me… it gets me by in not only difficult stretches of a run or race, but also in difficult stretches of life. It narrows my focus and gives way to strength that is beyond anything I have.
I think it important to hold onto a mantra… to call upon it to keep you moving during the most difficult stretches of a race… or life. Something to use to get you started… something to get you through the setbacks… something to use to reach your goals.
Nike coined “Just Do It”… Lance Armstrong created, “Live Strong”… What motivates and keeps you going?

No comments:

Post a Comment